It has definitely been a long time since I posted a recipe! Ever since my schedule changed at work I haven’t had the time to be as creative in the kitchen as I used to be. I try to keep the food I eat for dinner at work interesting, and that’s what this recipe aims to do. But it’s also great for an easy weeknight meal at home!
But before I get into the recipe: Do you guys know how to pick mushrooms? The other morning I was at the grocery store when I just plucked two off the shelves the first time I made this recipe — and let me tell you, that did not end well. I picked some bad mushrooms. So just in case, here are some pearls of wisdom:
Mom’s advice on how to pick mushrooms:
- Buy if it’s white. If it’s starting to brown, pass on it.
- Should be closed around the stem so that no brown is showing.
- Most individual mushrooms in the the vegetable section are bad already. Safer to buy sealed packs.
Here’s what you’ll need: Penne pasta, 2 medium eggplants, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 – 2 cup chopped mushrooms, 1 cup prepared marinara sauce, cooking spray, 1 tbsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch rounds, then slice in half (Yeah, I’m still obsessed with my mandolin, and I’m still using it.) Spray bottoms with cooking spray before placing on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender, then place eggplant on paper towels.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, rosemary, chopped mushrooms, and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir in marinara sauce and eggplant. Add salt and pepper.
- Toss pasta with eggplant sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
I know it’s not the most appetizing final meal picture, but this is just how my life looks right now: It’s full of tupperware and microwaves for future heating since I have a dinner break instead of a lunch break. That’s the thing I miss most about a semi-normal schedule — fresh, hot dinners.
But regardless of when you eat it, this is a great recipe and it’s a super simple. If you’re an eggplant or mushroom fan, you are gonna love it! Hope you enjoy!