Sometimes you need some good ol’ comfort food after a long day at work — and if you’re like me, sometimes you just can’t stop craving that chorizo.
Well I’ve combined the best of both worlds in this week’s edition of Weeknight Meals: Chorizo Mac ‘N’ Cheese.
This dish costs less than $10 to make, and takes less than 10 minutes. So if you’re looking for a no fuss dinner and just want to chow down, look no further. (I haven’t gone on a major grocery shopping trip since we got back from Kona, so this was way easy to whip up.)
Here’s what you’ll need: mac ‘n’ cheese fixin’s, chorizo, and shredded cheese.
- Set your oven to broil on high.
- Drop some chorizo (maybe around 5 oz.) in a pan and mash it up into little pieces, as you would beef for tacos.
- Cook up your mac ‘n’ cheese as directed by the box (or your own recipe). I don’t usually have milk in the house, so I bought two cups of instant mac ‘n’ cheese and just added water (don’t judge me, it tasted just as good). You’re going to end up baking it anyway.
- In an oven safe container, add your cooked mac ‘n’ cheese and mix in the cooked chorizo bits.
- Drizzle some shredded cheese on top of the mixture for an added crunch later.
- Put the dish in the oven until cheese looks crispy.
Perhaps the hardest part about this recipe is waiting until it’s cool enough to eat — because it is delicious. If you chow down too early, not only will the temperature get you, but so will that spicy chorizo.
At least if you manage to be patient enough to wait you’ll only have to deal with some spiciness.
Looking for a more intricate dinner? Click here for a more sophisticated chorizo pasta recipe!