Today I was at work when all of a sudden a stack of pizza boxes filled with half-eaten pizzas were sitting on the snack table. I had to eat a slice. Like I had to. It didn’t matter that I just ate half my chicken caesar salad — I had an obligation to the pizza gods to fulfill.
That’s when I realized: pizza is my greatest weakness.
It’s why I’m happy to report that if you’re looking for a chill downtown happy hour spot with good and unique eats — all you need to do is head to the pizza bar at Fresh Cafe Downtown.
Inside this hole-in-the-wall pizza window on Nuuanu Avenue, for just $8.95 you can order yourself up a personal pan pizza (slightly larger than those tiny Pizza Hut ones), and choose from eight special green pizza options. There’s even a dessert pizza to try!
- The Hawaiian (Kalua pork + Sausage): kalua pork, portuguese sausage, lup chong, lomi tomato sauce, spinach
- The Kailua (Cobb): fromage blanc, tomato roasted corn, red onion, mushroom, bacon, hard boiled egg
- The Koreamoku (Kalbi + Kimchi): gochujang aioli, kimchi, kalbi, green onions, sriracha vinaigrette
- Beet It: Roasted beets, goat cheese spread, arugula, citrus vinaigrette, candied nuts
- The Popeye (Spinach + Artichoke): Roasted bell peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, spinach, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, prosciutto
- The Veggie (Arugula): herb cheese spread, arugula, chia seeds, coco nibbs
- Eiffel Tower (Raspberry): Rosewater buttercream, lychee white chocolate ganache, raspberry gelee, fresh raspberries, toasted almonds, mint
- All Lox’d Up (Salmon + Lox): cream cheese spread, capers, red onion, lemon zest, dill pickles
There may be only eight options right now, but it’s still an intimidating menu when you walk in. Like I said, so many unique combinations — you won’t know which one to try first! But once you decide, you put in your order at the counter, then wait outside at a little bench.
There was a little bit of a wait when we went (15 – 20 minutes), but they’ll bring your pizza out in these cute boxes with their logo stamped on. (You can also call 95-FRESH for pre-order pickups!)
Once you’ve got your pizza, you can either go home and eat it (obviously), but why would you want to do that when two doors down is Fresh Cafe Downtown’s cozy bar.
There’s not much in the way of seating besides at the bar or against the wall when you walk in, but outside in the back are tables where you and some friends can sit down and enjoy your fresh pizzas. While you’re at it, grab a Buddah beer or a well drink ($4 and $3 respectively on happy hour)!
The bar tender (who was really great), told us they had plans to have happy hour Wednesdays – Saturdays, from 6 – 9 p.m.
Ayaka and I both got “The Popeye,” Jake and Chad both got “The Koreamoku,” while Adrienne got “The Kailua.” Between all of us we had a whole lot of different flavors to try! And that’s what makes it so fun.
So grab a few friends and share a few pizzas and beers after work! You won’t be sorry.