They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach — so if that’s true, ladies, it’s time to put your hair back and whip up a batch of something sweet this Valentine’s Day!
This year I made red velvet heart-shaped brownies with the assistance of a new mold I bought. I like molds over cookie cutters because you just fill each compartment rather than having to re-use the excess batter.
The recipe for these sweet treats is super simple — and yes, it involves some red velvet cake mix.
What you’ll need: a box of red velvet cake mix, two eggs, brown sugar, and butter.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour your red velvet cake mix into a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- Add 1 stick of butter (8 tbsps)
- Add 2 eggs
- Mix together, then scoop into your heart shaped mold or cut out your heart shapes.
- Place in the oven to bake for about 25 minutes.
- Pull out to let them cool, then dust with powdered sugar! (Optional)
If you are using a mold, taking them out can be a bit tricky. I use a knife to unstick the sides — but at one point, one of my brownie tops fell off… Expletive.
But the great thing about baking is you can always hide your mistakes with frosting! It’s like glue in the baking world. But it tastes way better. Ask any kindergartner.
Hope you all have a Happy Valentine’s Day! What are your favorite sweet holiday recipes? And if you think you want to try this one later, don’t forget to Pin It!