Like countless others who hate mornings and would rather sacrifice meal prep time for an extra 10 minutes of sleep, I either eat a donut or nothing for breakfast. That’s not healthy for multiple reasons:
- sugar probably isn’t the best way to go first thing in the morning
- it’s just not healthy to skip breakfast — and like mamma always said, it’s the most important meal of the day!
In an attempt to start my day off nutritionally, and as a way to trick myself into eating more fruits and vegetables, I have decided to try making smoothies beforehand, grabbing them out of the fridge the next morning and taking them to go.
Here’s my first green smoothie attempt: a kale smoothie with pineapple and banana (I’m obsessed with pineapple lately). You will need about two stems of kale leaves, pineapple chunks, 1 banana, coconut milk, and some water.
In smoothie making, I’m told it’s good to add liquids –> leafy greens –> fruit chunks, so that the blades gradually drag everything into them and don’t get caught on the chunky stuff. So this is why the directions go like this.
- Add 1/2 cup coconut milk + 1/2 cup water
- Add 2 cups of de-stemmed and chopped kale (See how to de-stem kale here. Silly, maybe, but I didn’t know until today!)
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of pineapple chunks
- Add 1 chopped banana
- Puree for one minute or until smooth!
Do you have any favorite smoothie recipes? I’d love to hear them in the comments below!